On May 29 and 30, Briarcliff High School’s Track & Field team participated in the Section 1 State Qualifier Meet that took place at Arlington HS (Thursday) and White Plains HS (Friday). The team had high hopes for many personal bests to be achieved. That is exactly what happened.
The highlight of the meet for the Briarcliff team was the Girls’ Division II 1500 Meters where Caroline Pennacchio, a Briarcliff HS sophomore, ran away from the field to win the race and a spot on the Section 1 team going to the New York State Track & Field Championships at Cicero North HS on Saturday, June 7. Caroline’s time of 4:50.38 broke her own school record by 2.51 seconds. This will be Caroline’s third state championship. She has qualified for the last two Cross Country Championships. Caroline also finished second in the 3000 Meters running 10:44.08.
Other Briarcliff athletes finishing in the top five in their events were:
· Sophia Gelard (freshman) third in the 400 Meters running 1:01.54 and fifth in the 100 Meters running 13.97.
· Sharon Luan (senior) second in the 400 Meter Hurdles running 1:07.41 (a personal best).
· Molly Rickles (sophomore) third in the 3000 Meters running 11:21.42.
· Katherine Shine (sophomore) fifth in the Shot Put throwing 30’ 1.25” (a personal best). Katherine also finished seventh in the Discus with a throw of 77’ 6” (a personal best).
· Ian Wax (junior) fifth in the 1600 Meters running 4:29.28 (a personal best).
· Jack Zimmerman (freshman) third in the Discus throwing 122’ 5” (a personal best).
Other highights for the Bears were freshmen Julia Duffy who finished sixth in the Triple Jump leaping 29’ 7.5” that was a 9.5” personal best and Ryan Gallagher who ran the 1600 Meters and finished in eighth place in 4:38.85 that was a 6.73 second personal best. The future looks bright for the Briarcliff HS Track and Field team!!!