Environmental Working Group's guide to safe animal products:
1. Grass-fed or pasture-raised meat has fewer antibiotics and hormones, and in some cases may have more nutrients and less fat; livestock live in more humane, open, sanitary conditions.
2. Lean cuts: less fat will likely mean fewer cancer-causing toxins in your body.
3. No antibiotics or hormones: reduces unnecessary exposure to toxins and helps keep human medicines effective.
4. Certified organic: keeps pesticides, chemical fertilizers and genetically modified foods off the land, out of the water and out of our bodies.
5. Certified humane: means no growth hormones or antibiotics were used, and ensures that animals were raised with enough space and without cages or crates.
6. Unprocessed, nitrite-free and low-sodium: avoid lunchmeats, hot dogs, prepackaged smoked meats and chicken nuggets.
7. Sustainable seafood: avoid airfreighted fish and farmed salmon; consult Monterey Bay Aquarium's list of the most sustainable seafood choices.
My Favorite NYC Greenmarket Farms
These farmers take care to humanely raise pastured cattle and poultry.
Hawthorne Valley Farm
Biodynamic and pastured beef and pork. At Union Square Greenmarket on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
3-Corner Field Farm
Grass-fed lamb, sheep cheese, and yogurt. At Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays.
Flying Pigs Farm
Heritage breed pork, chicken, eggs, lamb and goat. At Union Square Greenmarket on Fridays and Saturdays.
Gorzynski Ornery Farm
Pastured eggs. Best eggs in New York City! At Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays.
Grazin' Angus Acres & Kinderhook Farm
Grass-fed beef and chicken. At Union Square Greenmarket on Fridays and Saturdays. At Carroll Street Greenmarket between Smith and Court on Sundays (April-Dec, Brooklyn).
Hudson Valley Duck Farm
Heritage breed ducks and duck products. At Union Square Greenmarket on Mondays.
Patches of Star Dairy
Goat meat and dairy. At Union Square Greenmarket on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
Tamarack Hollow Farm
Pastured pigs, Jersey cows, chickens, rabbits, and Thanksgiving turkeys. At Union Square Greenmarket on Wednesdays.
Violet Hill Farm
Eggs, pigs, lambs, chickens and guinea hen. At Union Square Greenmarket on Saturdays.
Disclosure Statement: I am neither affiliated with, nor do I get any money or benefits from, any of the companies above. I do eat the food... frequently ;)