Wednesday Storm Update: Still Some Without Power in Briarcliff

Strong winds expected to continued into this evening.

Update, Wednesday morning — 45 Con Edison customers in Briarcliff Manor are reportedly still without power. The company estimates power will be restored to all by 11 p.m. tonight.


Update, 11:30 p.m. — Metro North reports, "Harlem Line service is now operating on or close to schedule."


Update, 10:27 p.m. — Con Edison is reporting 22 customers are without power.

In Briarcliff Manor, 654 customers are without power.


Update, 8:09 p.m. — According to Briarcliff Manor Police, all village roads are "open and passable."

However there is some flooding on Pleasantville Road.

Add your storm-related photos and tips directly to this article or emailpleasantville@patch.com.


Update, 7:50 p.m. — Pleasantville Police reported a low-hanging wire on Washington Avenue, near the intersection of Pierce Drive (see photo).

Con Edison is reporting there are customers without power in Briarcliff Manor. There is no estimated restoration time yet.


Update, 7:25 p.m. — Both the Metro North's Hudson and Harlem lines are reportedly experiencing 10-15 minute delays.

The downed wires that closed a portion of Route 9A in the Town of Ossining have been cleared and the road has been reopened, according to the New York State Department of Transportation.

Add your storm-related photos and tips directly to this article or email pleasantville@patch.com.


Route 9A South and Route 9A North in the area of Ossining and Briarcliff Manor is closed while emergency crews address downed wires and trees.

The road is completely closed up through Route 134.

Briarcliff Manor Police said they could not immediately comment on the road closures, given the high volume of calls that are coming in.

Stay with Patch for updates.

Rich Benkwitt September 19, 2012 at 03:20 AM
Con Edison fell down on the job today. The Thornwood and many other fire department's were watching 4,000 volt wires burning in the street for over 3 hours and they were within 10 feet of a gasoline station fuel tanks!. Commerce street (route 141 was closed for the entire event, disrupting our business and travelers. We requested several times for the electric utility to respond or at the minimum give us an estimated time of arrival, and they never complied. It was obvious Con Ed was trying to save money by not having enough workers ready. After the lockout you would think they saved enough money. What do they do with all of the money???? Obviously keep it for the executives. We finally flagged down an underground crew and after seeing the dangerous condition agreed it was unsafe to leave. I understand there were many other FD's being used and abused doing Con Edisons job of watching the hazardous conditions throughout the region.
Robert O'Hanlon September 19, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Cannot disagree with Rich's statements. In Briarcliff, we never saw one Con Ed crew, van or employee in the 6 major areas we were monitoring. We had one dangling and leaking transformer from a fallen tree and 13KV lines laying on residental streets. It almost seems like business as usual with Con Ed these days with no sense of urgency when we ask for expedited response. In fact we were getting quicker responses with the lockout. Con Ed needs to change their priorities and use crews in the early stages of an event to shut power down to dangerous downed wires and return later to make the repairs.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something