A strong sulfur smell at Chase bank on Bedford Road today led to an evacuation and a Westchester County hazardous materials investigation, police said.
"There was a strong odor coming from the basement—it smelled like sulfur," Officer Erin Holly said. "The showed up."
Once the building—444 Bedford Rd. at the intersection of Wheeler Avenue—was evacuated, just before 11 a.m. this morning, investigators found the odor was coming from the building's alarm battery, which was apparently overcharging.
"The building was evacuated for maybe an hour," Holly said. "Everything is OK [now]."