Storm Recovery: Friday, November 2 (2:00 PM)
Important information follows:
- Power Restoration: Overhead line crews (with our DPW workers) are tasked with clearing roads and trees on wires (TOW’s). A second series of electrical workers (most from NC, so far) are restoring power and replacing damaged poles. This is a slow process but because we have made additional arrangements, we anticipate increased activity through the weekend and into next week. We ask you to understand the enormity of the power restoration process and not to interfere with the work. We expect to have local DPW workers assisting them throughout the village. Con Ed is holding to a next weekend near completion.
- Opening Roads: with stepped up Con Ed and other company assistance we are working to open the remaining 12+ roads still blocked. Again, electric lines are NOT to be touched. People continue to drive over downed wires that may still be live… this is crazy. Plan alternate routes as you need to leave and return to your home. Do not remove barricades. Questions should be directed to the BMPD 941-2130.
- Accelerating local Clean-Up: VBM’s regular garbage and recycling schedules are in effect. As roads are reopened, we are attempting to pick up household garbage. Call DPW at 941-9105 if we have missed your street or area. Our DPW will be working over the weekend with Con Ed crews to clear and clean other areas. Again, DO NOT PILE leaves in your streets: keep storm sewers, catch basins and sidewalks free and clear. You are directed (and are responsible to direct your landscapers) to create separate piles: one for leaves; another for branches and other similar wood debris- limbs are to be cut into manageable sizes. Keep them separate. Jumbled materials will be bypassed. Do not place logs or tree trunks out or anything larger than 7 inches in diameter: they will NOT be picked up. Based on worker availability, the DPW will be picking up the debris by types of material virtually 7 days a week.
- Warming Centers and extended hours: We have directed the Library and Community Center to have extended hours. For this weekend, the library will be open from 10 AM to 9 PM on Friday and Saturday and from Noon to 9 PM on Sunday. We will let you know about next week when we get there. The library is warm, WiFi friendly and open for re-charging yourelectronics. The BMFD has opened Central Fire Headquarters at 1111 Pleasantville Road beginning today through the weekend from 10 AM to 10 PM as a warming center and to recharge your electronic gear. They will also be hosting Movie Nights tonight and Saturday: 6pm-8pm for Elementary School aged children and 8pm-10pm for Middle and High School students. (Movies to be determined) The Briarcliff Manor School District will open the Todd School (Multipurpose Room) as a warming center on Saturday and Sunday from 9:30am to 3pm.
- Dry Ice is available until 6pm or until supplies run out at the Armonk Business Park (IBM) at 200 Business Park Drive, Armonk, NY and also at the Yonkers Raceway in Yonkers, NY.