Perhaps never in the history of U.S. holidays has one been so convoluted as Presidents’ Day, which will be observed Monday, Feb. 18.
In some other places, the holiday is called George Washington’s Birthday—which actually isn’t until February 22, but is celebrated on the third Monday of February due to the Uniform Monday Holiday Act, congressional tinkering that set the stage for all the confusion in the first place.
The father of our country would’ve been 279 this year, if you’re keeping track. And they are in Virginia, where the holiday has always been George Washington’s Birthday.
Abraham Lincoln "sort of" has his own holiday. Lincoln's Birthday—Feb. 12, 1809—is celebrated in Illinois, where he was born, and Connecticut, Missouri and New Jersey. It's a floating holiday for state of New York employees covered by union agreemens.
Some say the holiday honors Washington and Abraham Lincoln, whose birthday isn’t on February 18, either. Lincoln was born Feb. 12, 1809.
Some states have taken a one-size-fits-all approach to the holiday:
In Massachusetts, Presidents Day honors John Adams, John Quincy Adams, Calvin Coolidge and John Kennedy, all of whom hailed from the state.
In Virginia, it’s George Washington’s Birthday. Always has been, always will be.
In Alabama, George Washington shares the day with Thomas Jefferson. He was born in April, on the 13th in 1743. They also celebrate Confederate States of America President Jefferson Davis’s birthday on June 3 in Alabama.
Others view the day as honoring all presidents, past and present.
So whether you’re honoring President Washington or President Obama and everyone in between, here’s what’s going on in Pleasantville and Briarcliff Manor on Monday:
- Pleasantville Village Hall will be closed.
- Briarcliff Manor Village Hall will be closed.
- There will be no valet parking available at the Scarborough Metro North station.
- There is no United States Postal Service delivery.
- Metro-North Railroad and NYC subways will operate on holiday or weekend schedules.
- The Briarcliff Manor Public Library will be closed.
- The Mount Pleasant Public Library will be closed.
- Pleasantville and Briarcliff Manor public schools begin their winter recess.