The quick actions of Central Drive residents in Briarcliff Manor helped minimize the damage that resulted from an electrical fire this evening.
Briarcliff Manor Fire Chief Robert O'Hanlon said the department received a call reporting a structure fire at 430 Central Dr. at 7:06 p.m. this evening and responded to the home within "three or four minutes."
At the scene, fire responders found a fire in one of the home's bedrooms, though it had been largely put out by the residents.
Firefighters used some water from a hose to extinguish the remains of the fire and kept the damage to a minimum, O'Hanlon said.
The fire caused the home's general fire alarm to sound. Paired with smoke filling the home, the two people who were home were quickly alerted to the source of the fire.
Upon further investigation, it was found the fire was started by an extension cord that had caught fire near a bed. The bed and adjacent wall suffered some damage.
Two mattresses from the bed were taken from the house and could be seen on the front lawn as responders began to clear the area around 7:45 p.m.
One resident sustained a minor arm injury while dousing the fire, O'Hanlon said, but she and the second resident did not require medical attention at the scene.
Thanks to the quick actions of the residents, "It was a small fire when we got here," O'Hanlon said.
If no one was home, he added, the damage "could have been more extreme."